Welleby Veterinary Hospital maintains a complete in-house pharmacy with prescription medications for your convenience and to ensure our patients receive fast and efficient treatment. This includes antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, pain medications, supplements, prescription diets, flea, tick, and heartworm preventives.
We also have the ability to compound certain medications. If your pet is reluctant or difficult to medicate, please ask about compounding. This allows us to convert your pet’s medication into a pet-friendly flavored liquid, chew or topical medication.
Why Buy Your Prescription from Your Local Veterinarian?
When making the decision to purchase your pet’s medication, we know you have many options, including online or local pharmacies, but not all options are the best for your pet. Consider the following information when purchasing your pet’s medication:
- It is a myth that online pharmacies are cheaper than purchasing through your veterinarian. Most reputable online pharmacies charge the same or more than your veterinarian.
- Buying your pet’s medication from a licensed veterinarian is the only way to guarantee that you’re receiving the correct product and dosage for your pet. Human pharmacists are generally not trained in the different dosing requirements of your pet.
- Veterinarian-prescribed medication is intended to meet your pet’s specific needs because it’s prescribed only after examining your pet. This also means that you will be notified about any potential side effects.
- To ensure the quality of the product that your pet receives, most companies that produce medications will only sell them directly to veterinarians. Online pharmacies obtain many of these products through a grey market or from overseas. This may compromise the integrity of the product that you give your pet. Therefore, the veterinary medication companies will not guarantee the quality or side effects of the product unless it is purchased through a veterinarian.
- Any medication that is purchased from a veterinarian is guaranteed to be stored in optimal conditions. This is not guaranteed with online retailers.
- For more information about the risks involved in buying your pet’s medications online, please refer to this FDA article for consumers.